Tuesday, February 24, 2015





Hairy Tale - Fairy Tale?

Exactly a year ago somewhere in February, I decided that my long tresses needed a haircut. It stemmed more out of the fact that I was mentally and physically exhausted hence my idea of some ‘me’ time was to go to a ‘good’ salon and get some pampering done. I was just done with a research paper presentation and needed some ego massaging along with the usual rituals of a scalp massage that accompany the haircut. I choose to head to a nearby salon in Pashan which was run by a celebrity hairstylist. The name of the salon resembled a drink giving it a little more pep. Parking my scooter right outside my destination, I  glanced down to see what I was wearing. I wished I had picked up something more  ‘sophisticated’ , you know something which would do justice to the mood set up by the salon. Then again I remembered what a month I had had!! Drafting the paper umpteen number of times, still not being sure if I had done a good job, no assurances whatsoever from anywhere. It was just me, my eyes, my laptop, my fingers and the pile of books. My hair smelled rotten and I had dark circles all over my eyes. Need I explain more?

I choose to  totally  sympathise with myself and headed with a confident swagger into the glam sham. I had made no appointments whatsoever and had decided to try my luck.  It was a well lit tastefully done decor with fresh flowers which surrounded and adorned a diya right across the entrance. Beyond it the usual counter with some feng shui plants, latest offer pamphlets and their business cards. The lady behind the counter after attending to a call, spoke to me in a divine voice- something that sounded dreamy and full of promises.  I informed her of my wishes to get a haircut and promptly told her that I was there without any prior appointment. She simply smiled and assured me that I need not worry and that their ‘best’ stylist Raj was very much free and could give me a million dollar makeover. I was happy. Flipping through some glamour magazines in the cosy corner where I was patiently waiting for my knight in shining armour with dazzling scissors, I took in all the warmth the place had to offer. Green plants, Fresh tea, colorful flowers and the counters of hair products neatly stacked one above the other. It was a perfect set up! I could buy the expensive jars of products and then take a deep breath and enjoy the fresh oxygen from the plants to calm my nerves.

After a few minutes Raj came and took me over to a big cosy looking black leather chair. “Come Madam,” he said, smiling at me politely. The word ‘madam’ ahaa..at last someone is getting some deserved respect, I thought to myself. He analysed my hair. I looked worried because Raj had huge lines of concern all across his forehead. “Madam, your hair is very dry. Your scalp as well. You should do the anti-dandruff treatment. After which you should do the scalp conditioning treatment ,” he said. “Óh, I hardly get time for all this. But I will surely consider it the next time,” I replied. Now this was a well rehearsed line of mine. I used it every time I went for a haircut, for a facial, well for any beauty treatment. I very well knew what these additional treatments cost and of course these were no permanent fixes! I clutched at my handbag trying to get over a panic attack and hoping that the 2000 rupees I had saved up for this exotic trip of mine were still there and had not magically evaporated.  In the meanwhile Raj took me to another spot around the corner where the hair wash took place. I felt so uncomfortable around the nape of my neck. Yes, the ceramic or plastic or whatever goddamn material that basin was made of, I simply could not stop cursing it and was mentally calculating the minutes for this segment of drama to end. Raj enquired politely, “Madam, are you comfortable?” “Yes,” I spoke hastily - a white lie. Just then I heard some commotion at the reception of the salon.  I heard  a lady  speaking loudly in a shrill voice. “I have an appointment with Raj right now.How dare you give it away to someone else?” She demanded that she be attended to right away. I felt silly, Raj was perplexed but was somehow expecting this. He told me that the manager was new and it was her first day at work today and that since morning all she was doing was messing up all the timings! I nodded along. The lady manager came to me and sounding apologetic  told me she had made a mistake and asked if I could wait for 15 minutes. I had a towel wrapped around my head and was waiting alongside my beloved plants and again reading through magazines. I am a nice human being, I told myself. After a good 25-30 minutes, I was again ushered to the black leather chair. I was already starting to feel cold. Wet hair and a wet towel in an air conditioned room is certainly no good way to keep oneself warm and cosy. Raj apologised and we decided to move on. After a few minutes of discussions as to what kind of a hairstyle I was looking for, I heard yet again a lady in a false accent shouting at the manager. This NRI lady was really very rude and cursed the new manager for letting Raj work his magic on some other client. I cried out loud silently. I was cursing myself as to why I came here at the first place and that too without a prior appointment. Sure enough the lady manager came towards me and started blaming me for not having a prior appointment. She declared I would have to wait yet again. I was furious but then again I paused and repeated to myself... I am a good human being. I took a deep breath and calmly nodded my head. There was no way I could go home in a half done haircut. My picnic was turning into a nightmare. All I could hear was Raj’s voice promising me to give the best look after he was done with the lady. I waited and waited. It was a long wait. By now my dear readers, I am sure you are wondering if at all I could get this one haircut that I wished for. Yes, I did . It was almost evening by then. Who knew a haircut would cost me so much money, time and patience!  

By the time Raj had given the final finishing touches, I looked really glamourous, my hair not smelling rotten anymore. The thousands of mirrors in the salon celebrated my beauty in which they showcased my perfectly falling tresses. I stole glances at myself but could not keep up for more than a few micro seconds. I can never pout or pucker or pull in my cheeks and stare at myself and my beauty when there are other people around me. Too embarrassed I guess! Alas… completely my loss. Finally when I reached the counter to pay I realised there were some hundreds missing and hence offered to pay by card. Of course as the day and my luck would have it, the card swiping machine was not working. The manager slowly pushed in an apology for all the mishaps of the terrible afternoon. I walked towards the ATM and laughed out aloud - half out of despair and half out of amusement.  Everything need not go according to plans, not even at the best of places- I derived out of all this! I went back, paid up, my inner voice telling me to blast that lady right away. The other part of me was convinced that the poor lady had  had enough insults come her way for the day. I took a deep breath and vowed to myself never to come back to this place. Well yes that was what the salon had ultimately lost out to- a customer ! Surprisingly the majority of me felt satisfied and happy with the way  I had reacted to the entire fiasco. I choose not to make her day worse. Human revolution anyone?

2 comments:

  1. I would say. ..very brave move shru.. cutting hair. .very brave decision..not yelling at tht lady....love your hair spa day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say. ..very brave move shru.. cutting hair. .very brave decision..not yelling at tht lady....love your hair spa day.

    ReplyDelete